Between the 30s and the 70s, it was a residential area mainly occupied by the wealthy families, where you would find mostly mansions with big gardens. During the heritage days, you can have a look at the residency of the Brish ambassador (Gertrudis Echeñique 96) to have an idea.
Nowadays, it is the new business district of Santiago, built from the end of the nineties, and named Sanhattan (acronym of Santiago and Manhattan). It is composed mainly of commercial buildings along avenues Apoquindo and Isidora Goyenechea. Residential buildings are available around in the small adjacent streets . The name “El Golf” comes from the golf club located just on the north of the avenue Presidente Riesco.
As soon as you move away from the big avenues, you can find a lot of small parks. The area is very active during working hours. But after 8pm, there is not much to do. During weekends, an organic market and a few “ferias” give some animation but do not expect a lot of things to happen. Most shops will be closed, except high-end retailers.
As far as apartments are concerned, El Golf is most likely the most expensive district of Santiago, with a few areas of Vitacura having similar prices. For some Chileans, having a postal address in El Golf is a status symbol.
What type of accommodation can you find here:
- A lot of buildings, with an average of 15-20 floors. Flats range from 70sqm up to an entire floor. There is a limited number of studio apartments. It mostly starts at 2 bedrooms, as the area has been designed to accommodate upper-class families. The most recent buildings are located near metro Alcantara. Some properties include a concierge and laundry services. Most properties offer a swimming pool, but only the best/most recent one have it on the roof. Be aware: you can find a lot of buildings where the swimming pool is located next to the parking lot. Having a swim while smelling gas…
- In this area, most apartments for rent are furnished (around 70-80% of the market)
- You can find a few houses on the north of the avenue Presidente Riesco. They have resisted to the invasion of real estate developers due to their location on the side of a hill. Yet, please note that due to this, these are often houses with several floors, and a few dozen of steps to climb from the entrance to the door. To avoid if you have young kids. Other houses ara available 4-5 blocks on the south of avenue Apoquindo. Yet, most of the nice one are used by businesses/shops or embassies.
Average cost of accommodation in the area
- 1-bedroom apartment: $450.000 to $950.000
- 2-bedroom apartment: $850.000 to $1.500.000
- 3-bedroom apartment: $1.100.000 to $2.300.000
- Houses: not enough properties to calculate a market average
Unfurnished flats are relatively limited, and are generally 20 to 30% cheaper.
It is good to know that a parking can be rented between $50,000 and $70,000 per month. Therefore, if you wish to live in this area and you don’t plan to own a car, you can quite easily rent your parking. Ask the concierge if it is authorized. If so, he/she will be happy to help for a small fee. This can help to reduce your rent.
On the contrary, if you work here and need a parking for your car, you can ask the concierges in the surrounding area. You should be able to find quite quickly someone interested.
- Expats living in Chile for a short time, willing to live next to their work
- Short-term accommodation for families relocating in Chile. Being in El Golf is very convenient at first, to facilitate viewings of properties in the surrounding cities while being close enough of shopping centers so that you can walk if you don’t have a car at first.